I finally managed to come out of hiding! The last weeks have been quite turbulent and less productive, so I was not able to write any blogposts. I did not even have much things to write about.
You may have noticed that the “Headline” of the blogpost is slightly different from what you are used to. I do no longer try to maintain the illusion that I can write a blogpost every single month… Apologies for that. Family and work demand a lot of time at the moment, so I have to switch to a “I write a post when there is something to write about”-mentality. I will still try to write at least every other month, I just cannot guarantee.
So far for the introduction. Now let’s get to the interesting part.
The GameStick is a new micro-console in the vain of the OUYA that brings Android games to the TV screen. I was contacted by someone from gamestick after he stumbled across Bloo Kid 2 in the toucharcade forum. They asked me to do a port of the game. I said I would first want the game to be content complete (== 5 worlds instead of the current 3) but I could think of porting Bloo Kid 1 instead. Corona supports GameStick (and OUYA) by now, so I figured I would be able to port the game with minimum effort.
They sent me a devkit some days later and I took the following week to make the game run with the latest Corona version and implement the gamepad controls as well as some other minor stuff. And voila, the game has been submitted to GameStick today.
This “move” is totally compliant with my genereal creed to bring your game to as many platforms as possible. I will tell you in the next blogpost if it worked out this time.
This is also a “test-case” to see if it is worth to port games to the platform. Bloo Kid 1 was ported quite fast because Corona already supports GameStick. Since Bloo Kid 2 is created with another framework that does not have GameStick support yet, it will take more time to port it.
While I was trying to imagine how many people already own a GameStick and how many would bother to buy the game, I was also curious to know how much money Bloo Kid has generated during its lifetime of almost three years. So I started collecting all data I could find (or better: that I could remember), trying to consider every advertising network I used in the past. It is not a gapless computation since I e.g. totally forgot the AdMob revenue of the first few weeks and I already deleted my AdMob account since then, so I am not able to recapitulate the AdMob revenue. But you could consider it as “the game made at LEAST that amount of money”, and I bet it will be motivating for everyone of you.
If you need a quick summary of the Bloo Kid development story you can check out my previous blogpost covering the “Bloo Kid Timeline”. I will not go into much detail about the pros and cons of different networks. If you want some more insight, just browse around my blog and read some old posts.
Starting with InMobi
InMobi was one of the first networks I used. It was quickly replace by another one, but nevertheless generated some revenue for Bloo Kid. Most of the revenue came from the Android version. iOs is not worth mentioning here.
Switching to InnerActive
After Corona introduced InnerActive I made a switch and generated some revenue with it. This time, iOS was more profitable than Android.
The RevMob period
As some of you might know, I was using an advertising network called “RevMob” for quite a while with great success. I used it since May 2013 until I found out that the Vungle Network was even more profitable and switched to Vungle since then. Bloo Kid still makes some minimum revenue with “old versions” that still use RevMob.
I introduced iAds somewhere on the way, and it has provided some nice additional revenue so far.
The Vungle Domination
During September 2013 I switched to Vungle which I still use to this day. It has generated an incredible amount of money considering the rather short period I have been using it since.
Vungle does not offer the possiblity to generate a diagram for more than 2 months (and I was a bit too lazy to create one myself), so I will just present you the the rough numbers.
Vungle generated $41,855 in revenue in just about half a year!
There is also an ad-free version of Bloo Kid available. Even though the revenue of the sales is a bit despicable when compared to the total ad-revenue, it is still a huge amount of money. You can clearly see how I changed from $0,99 to $1,99 between December and January (following a new and self-confident pricing strategy) and increased revenue drastically.
So let’s sum it all up
It is worth to mention that most of the revenue came from iOS. While it is still possible to make a decent amount of money on Android (as you might know from my other blogposts covering my kid’s apps) iOS was the more profitable platform for Bloo Kid.
It might sound unbelievable that a single mobile game, created by a single person in about three months of work, can create that much money, mostly from ads. Taking into consideration that this money was generated during the period of about three years “damps” the sensation a bit, but my expecations where nowhere near those numbers when I first released the game. It is however a proof that staying focused and believing in what you do can lead to great rewards. There are millions of mobile-users around the world, tons of indie-friendly websites, blogs and magazines, and a lot of help from experienced people on the net.
This is also a proof that “exploiting” your game by bringing it to multiple platforms and keeping it updated is rewarded with a long lifecycle and eventually financial success. You will know if this is true for the GameStick-version too in a few weeks when I got the first numbers.
It might not be as easy as it sounds, but it is possible to make a living out of games. People prove it every day.