I decided to use monkey for creating my next gaming app. Like I told you in my blogposts, I want to spread my future games to more platforms than iOS and Android only. Monkey supports a wide variety of targets. The cool part is that its not a scripting language that gets interpreted. The monkey code is translated to the corresponding target language and thus your apps will end up being native code. You can already target iOS, Android, Flash, HTML5, Windows, Mac and even XBOX 360. Plus there is an active community working on more targets.
I will create a prototype first to do some testing of the game mechanics before diving right into the game. I also want to create some small “engine” that can handle different resolutions and abstracts the input to make it easier for me to focus on the game logic later.
This prototype should also help me to get the hang out of monkey and to decide whether its a good idea to use it or not.
It took me about half a day to install and configure all the build targets (most of the time was spent waiting for downloads to complete…), but now I am ready to go. I already created a small program to test the different target platforms. I was stunned when I realized that it took me about 10 minutes to make my test program run on my very own 360. Check out the photo below for the prove 🙂
As you might have guessed from that little guy in the picture: I am planning to “revive” the “Rocket Ninja Cyborg” from my Flashgame of the same name and put the character into some funny platform game. It’s totally cool to have the game run on the xbox, but this also brings some major problems when it comes to the gameplay. I have to find a way to make the game controllable on touch devices, game controllers as well as keyboards and mouse input without having to alter the game mechanics too much.
I will continue to write about my experiences with Monkey and the progress on my prototype, so be sure to subscribe to the RSS feed or via mail to stay updated.